At this point in the tech generation, it’s safe to say that majority of the population has a smartphone. Unfortunately, we all are susceptible to text neck syndrome. However, small changes to the way you consume content on your phone can make all the difference between a healthy neck and text neck.
Check out these four simple exercises and neck pain stretches for your neck pain!
1. Neck problems from cell phones can be fixed by simply bringing your phone a little closer to your face. It makes the world of a difference!
Ultimately, you decide on positioning; your phone doesn’t. By putting 10 degrees of extension in your neck (bringing your head back up) can alleviate about 10lbs of sustained weight on your neck. As long as you’re more conscious about positioning, it’ll help you find opportunities to bring your phone up to your face.
2. Talk more and text less
We have lost our ability to make more genuine connections. We don’t even call to wish each other happy birthday anymore. We pretty much say all of our well wishes with one emoticon. In a day in age where hearing a voice over the phone is rare take advantage. It could set you apart in many ways and give you a competitive edge.
3. Tuck your elbows – it provides you with a checkpoint
When you tuck your elbows into your body it gives you no room to drop your arms down any more. When your arms drop down your head will just end up following.
4. Get into the habit of simple and quick neck exercises
Working on the deep neck flexors is an excellent way to create a stretch of your back neck muscles that tend to tighten up. It also builds the strength of the muscles deep in the front of the neck that tends to get weaker and inhibited because of always texting on your phone.
- Lie on your back
- Tuck your chin slightly
- Raise your head up just high enough to force you to contract the muscles in the front of your neck against gravity
- Slowly continue to raise your head into more neck flexion (chin down to to chest)
- Don’t let your chin jut forward
- Hold for 30 sec (or whatever time you can tolerate. Many of you will be super tired after 10secs)
- Repeat 3x daily